Opportunity for Thurrock Artists June 12th – 17th 2017
- To participate in SILK RIVER, a major arts project involving a cultural exchange between the UK and India.
- To develop your artistic skills by participating in a 6 day silk batik workshop, led by us here at Kinetika.
- To gain knowledge of your local community and their stories, and those of an India-linked partner, through the development of a silk batik scroll.
Kinetika are offering a free CPD opportunity on the Silk River project and would like to hear from any artists who are interested in participating for all, or part of, a 6 day artists residency.
Dates: 12th – 17th June 2017 (All day)
Artists will also be invited to a ‘design and preparation day’ with their community on one day in May (12th, 17th or 18th May).
Location: Kinetika Studios, 002 Artists’ Studios, High House Production Park, Purfleet, Essex, RM19 1AS
More details about the Silk River project can be found here: http://www.silkriver.co.uk/
Your opportunity in the residency will be to interpret and develop the ideas of your community and, working with other artists under the artistic direction of Ali Pretty and assistant artist Jacci Todd, design and make a 6 metre silk batik scroll telling the story of your place as referenced by your community.
Learn new or develop existing skills in:
- Drawing, upscaling, laying out.
- Managing the handmade silk.
- Hot waxing.
- Colour mixing and the use of cold water dyes.
- Artistic decision making in the painting of the silks.
- The process of double waxing.
Artists will gain an understanding of the necessary procedures needed for the fixing of the dyes and the removal of the wax as well as the necessary sewing and equipment required for the safe public display of the scrolls as flags.
For more information contact Jane Ford at Kinetika email@example.com 07746 788153.
To register your interest, please send your CV with photos of work, your availability on dates specified above and a short paragraph to express your interest to Jane Ford firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 7th April.
Artists will be advised by 14th April.